In this post we are going to explain how to add users to WordPress sites. This is a really simple task. Login details are too often shared by email or other sources and can cause security vulnerabilities. The best way to allow someone to login to your WP site is by adding them as a user.
Adding New WordPress Users
- Login to your WordPress site
You can log in to your site by typing your domain URL (website name) followed by ‘/wp-admin’ as shown in the picture below. If you don’t know your password, you can click “Lost Password” to reset it
2. Locate the ‘Users’ Tab in Admin
Once logged in you will now be in the admin area of WordPress. There will be a left section admin area where you will need to scroll down to find the ‘Users’ tab as shown in the image below. Click this tab and you will now be in the user’s admin area.
3. Adding Users
Now simply click the ‘Add User’ button and you will be directed to registration details.
4. Registration Details
You will be redirected to start the registration process. Enter all details including username, email address, password and make sure to send the user notification. We will explain the roles in the next step. The most common role types used are Administrator and Author. The administrator gives full permissions to the site and should only be given to users who have good WordPress knowledge.
5. What are the role types in WordPress?
User roles allow you to assign different levels of permissions to users on your website. Administrator role has permissions to edit plugins, themes or any other part of the admin area. If you don’t want a user to have an administrator role, then choose one of the other roles below:
- Administrator: allows access to all the administration features within a single site.
- Author: can publish and manage their own posts.
- Editor: allows access to publish and manage posts including the posts of other users.
- Contributor: can write and manage their own posts but cannot publish them.
- Subscriber: can only manage their profile.
Now that all fields are filled out you can click ‘Add New User’ button. Need help with your site? We create search engine friendly websites. Check out our Website Design Services here.